Thursday, May 1, 2014

Complete: Stripey Jumper


Hello all! I'm back after a week of no internet access - having realised in that time just how much more I use it since I started reading sewing blogs! After this I plan to spend a very happy hour or two catching up on a week's worth of inspiration from all of you :)

Before that though, here's my latest make. It's bit of a departure for me - I usually like my knits chunky and cosy. But I really liked the look of this openwork sweater for warmer, or at least transitional, weather. I found it in a Patons pattern book - another departure actually. I don't usually make yarn-specific patterns either. But I was really drawn to the texture of this yarn, Sorrento. It's a cotton/viscose blend with a boucle kind of texture when it's knitted up. Here 'tis:


Once I got going it was a pretty easy knit; every row is yarn over, purl 2 together, and stripes are a nice way to feel like you're making good progress. But getting going was a pain. I think I started and unravelled this six times. I'd wanted to do it in the round, because in the book's photos the side seams looked a bit sticky-outy. But the pattern kept coming out wrong. Once I'd accepted it wasn't going to be a seamless project and started following directions it actually started working...


I think it's meant to be a bit slouchier in fit than it turned out here, but I'll chalk that up to the fact that I accidentally followed the instructions for one size smaller than I meant to knit. It turned out to be a happy accident though in the end, because after wearing it for a day I can report that this yarn/pattern relaxes quite a lot. I guess that's the cotton content - every cotton jumper I've ever had has done that.


Above is just one of the ways I discovered how not to knit the pattern...

It's not really warm enough for the weather we've been having to wear on its own (well, with singlet!) but I think it's going to lend itself well to layering. Which bodes well for my MMM pledge of trying to combine makes more often! 

I won't be posting daily during May - I'd never be able to keep it up! I think the weekly round up post and a few days at a time on Flickr will be enough to be going on with. 

But in the meantime, I'm off to visit Bloglovin'... 



14 comments:

  1. Nice colours. The blue is lovely! I think this will layer up really well! I guess no internet meant you got more knitting done? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did! And a good deal of what I'm calling "highly motivated" rather than "panic" sewing ready for May... ;)

      Delete
  2. That's really nice. What a great everyday item to have in your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I've really been trying to make more everyday stuff this year. Still need to make some pj pants for weekend lounging around though - just have to find some fabulous fabric like yours!

      Delete
  3. I'm always so impressed when someone knits a jumper that looks like store bought! I think knitting is much, much harder than sewing. Your jumper would be great here too - we get lots of in between weather! In a nutshell - I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! It is nice to have a few in between items...and for the record knitting isn't nearly as hard as it looks!

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! What Patons pattern is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the mesh jumper from Patons book #8007, which has 4 patterns (with variations for most) specifically for the Sorrento yarn. The photo above shows the bottom half of the front cover. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love it! Don't think I'm ready to learn to knit yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fair enough - getting into knitting does mean your garments-to-make-wish-list is instantly doubled.... Mind you, there's nothing cosier than snuggling down on a winter night with a dvd and the needles ;)

      Delete
  6. So lovely! You know I'm a sucker for stripes! I'm so close to finishing my first cardi - hopefully this weekend! Are you going to post your trackies? What pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are - and I feel like I'm channeling you a bit lately; just finished a stripey Plantain tee too! How exciting to be nearly finished - and the weather's supposed to be dire this weekend, so perfect knitting weather :D
      I will post my much-loved, fit-straight-from-the-pattern trackies ASAP. They're Style Arc Sunday Walking Pants, and were my first day's wear for MMM. (Yup, setting the glamour stakes high right off the bat! ;) )

      Delete
  7. Oo I love bold stripes! Great casual item, the fit looks great, not all baggy and shapeless :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I bet it would be perfect for breezy nights even in the summer. I really like this on you and it's not something I would normally be drawn to either. Inspired Danielle!

    ReplyDelete